Skip to main content

Ladybird Love

Some recent 30+ degree Celsius days meant we got out the paddle pool out for LittleOne. This also meant me checking the water every few minutes all day in case bugs needed rescuing. (As I get older, I'm becoming more and more fascinated with the natural world and by extension, more and more obsessed with trying to help lil bugs if and when I can.)

There were lots of rescues from the paddle pool - flying ants, orange bugs, flies, mozzies and ladybirds. 

I spotted two ladybirds in quick succession. One was frantically paddling, and the other still, and to all intents and purposes, drowned. I fished them both out, popped them onto a recovery paper towel, and left Mulberry leaves for shade.

I was going to pop the drowned one in a garden bed but just left it on the paper towel instead. And to my astonishment, 2-3 hours later, it woke up! It clung tight to the blue beaker in the pic.

I checked on both ladybirds regularly and gave them Mulberries and Mulberry leaves. Mainly because the ladybirds seem to like the Mulberry tree and fruit a lot.

Mulberry-leaf-ladybird rested that whole day and snuggled early inside its Mulberry leaf, tucked in behind a half Mulberry. The next day, it was up early. It climbed to top of its Mulberry leaf complex. In the shade, aware of the sun, facing the sky. It flew away early. Wishing you all good things, lil Ladybird 🐞❤đŸ–€đŸž

Blue-beaker-ladybird stayed hunkered down by the blue beaker all the next day and all the night. It didn't want the fresh Mulberry I gave it. The morning after that, it slipped away to the sun. It had pretty much drowned two days ago; it's amazing it came back at all. Rest now, lil ladybird. You're amazing🐞❤đŸ–€


Du fond du coeur x 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Island Moments

I've just returned from a trip to my island home. I'm managing my post-goodbye blues by jotting down odd moments, memories and snapshots before they fade. When you travel to Mauritius from Australia, planes fly across the lower half of the island to the west coast, turn around and then come in for landing to airport. As we descended, we flew over the island, through clouds, grey and moody. As we reached the west coast, the clouds cleared briefly and we were treated to a dazzling setting sun colours warming up the clouds in gold and red. There was also a mountain peak, lit up in gold, that looked slightly (unnervingly) closer than it should have been. Then we turned, headed back into grey and landed in dark grey.  We arrived just before Divali. The airport had a display. I dusted off my rusty Creole and successfully got through Customs with a) the Customs officer understanding my Creole and b) me not having to resort to too much English. I'm calling that a win. I...

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.