Skip to main content

Somewhere over a rainbow - bouleversant, magic little everyday moments


It's a Saturday morning. Under a wide blue sky, the big-hearted autumn sun warms up a world which had cooled off overnight. Everyone is asleep. Hubby, my not-quite-two-year-old Little One, and my Puppy-Girl.

I'm standing at my laptop at the kitchen counter, a hot teacup at grateful hand. I could take my laptop and go and sit on the couch and curl up beneath a warm rug. In fact, I'd like very much to go and do that. But then Puppy-Girl, who's sleeping at my feet, wouldn't be able to follow me through the child-proof gate. And I don't want to lessen our little pocket of quiet time together. Just me and her. Not to mention, she will then move to sit at the gate so she can regard me reproachfully. So I tell myself that standing to type is good for me. 

In this little oasis of time, I breathe and my thoughts start to settle. I can stop having to react to everything, and let my thoughts slow and stretch. Think a little bit. Mull. Be introspective. Turn inwards, outwards, upwards. Maybe get pensive. Or playful. As with all good introverts, if I don't get spaces of quiet time to renew, the world quickly starts fraying at the edges.

It's felt like a frantic week. Working fulltime from home, Little One has been going through a growth spurt and one of the last bouts of teething, and has been rearranging likes and dislikes at whim while we slowly try to get our bearings again of what we can and can't use as go-to activities and distractions and playtime. And throw into the mix Puppy-Girl's upset tummy, which required urgent runs into the garden, 3-4 times throughout the night. 

Why don't I leave her outside, you ask? Because she's an excellent guard dog, who will bark remorselessly and furiously at anything that moves, including lizards, possums and any other night creatures. She's also an excellent escape artist and she's very attached to her family and will yip indefatiguably until she's let back inside. So, long story short, she stays inside at night. 

On one occasion this week, at 2am, I had Little One wrapped in a blanket in my arms, and we stood under the stars by the Poinciana tree at the bottom of the garden while Puppy-Girl searched for and ate grass to settle her stomach. The resident possum sat in the darkness and made its characteristic growls, which sounds nothing so much like kicking over the engine of a possum-sized motorbike. Little One responded by pointing eagerly towards the noise, growling back, blowing it kisses and then telling it to shush.

The haywire magic of family domesticity. To use a fancy French word: bouleversant - translating to 'overwhelming', but which literally also means to knock over a ball. Knock it off its feet, so the world tips upside down, but it rolls and bounces, and finds its feet again. Bouleversant and magical all at once. Interchangeable, memorable little moment, but also so ordinary as to only exist as one of a thousand other magical, tumultuous and mundane moments. And they fade so quickly. Not their magic, but those moments. They recede and slip into the past, along with many thousands of others. Jumbled and chaotic and beautiful all together. But difficult to isolate individual ones to remember. Like the sun sparkles on a dancing sea - magic and elusive to return to and capture.

Reliving snippets which are becoming wisps which are fading as they get replaced by more immediate memories, as I try and keep their immediacy and capture them in present tense, in my few and far between slivers of writing time. 

Finding this in my drafts folder, more than 4 years later, and being in heart-tugged awe - at how long ago this was, how the world is different now, and how I can remember snippets of some of these moments but not others.

And how I wrote it with love ❤️ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.

An Extra-Ordinary Spring Saturday

Saturday the 10th of September was one of those magic spring days.  It started like this: It was the kind of day where the sun is beautifully warm and the breeze is playful and joyous.  The kind of day where, when LittleOne and I went out onto the deck in the morning and the breeze ran up to say hello, we each instinctively, impulsively inhaled and exclaimed about how lovely the day was!  The kind of day that LittleOne said felt just like the beach.  The kind of day where the air is watermelon-scented, and you just want to both bottle it and let it soak in your very cells forever.   That kind of spring day. We saw the first hibiscus flower in our garden in a lovely shade of pink-red that was just slightly more deep pink than red. We saw bees merrily visiting the white-and-pink-edged blossoms all over our prolific lemony-lime tree. We saw a kookaburra bird come and perch on the arbor in the garden. It gave a couple of its deep-throated chuckles, but didn't break out into