Skip to main content

Life After, and the After-Life



A few weeks ago, I dreamt about my Bodie-Boy. It was a joyous moment, and he was as happy to see me as I was to see him.

It’s the only dream of him I’ve had (that I can remember).

It’s been 2 months and several days since we lost Bodie. If I think of him, I still disintegrate into tears.

Because I miss him.

Because of the way he suffered in his last few days. Because I want to tell him I’m sorry for how he suffered. Because I tried to be with him in his last few days, but I didn’t know how much pain he was in. I really thought he would get better.

Because of the way he didn’t want to get into the car for that last trip to the vet. Because he knew. And I didn’t. Because maybe that wasn’t the way he wanted to leave - us, this life. Because I didn’t say the goodbye to him that I wanted to at the vet’s, because I didn’t feel I could get sentimental with all the vet people looking on matter-of-factly, and now I wish I had.

And because I’m so sorry.

There’ve been all sorts of adjustments to get used to, in all sorts of ways. I now call the casuarina tree under which Bodie is buried, the Bodie-Tree. I’ve put pine cones from the Bodie-Tree in a circle around his burial mound. I make an effort to walk down the garden to sit under the Bodie-Tree now, to read, and to stare up at the sky through the leaves, and to shed tears.

I don’t like driving past the vet where Bodie breathed his last; on the bad days, I’ll remember it’s somewhere I left him, away from his family.

I have to buy dog food for one doggy now, not two. It hurts to think about all the different things I bought and tried to make for Bodie when I was trying to entice him to eat in his last days – white rice, bacon fat, boiled chicken breast, tuna. They’re all foods it hurts to remember. I can’t feed them to Indi without feeling emotional.

Indi doesn’t react to his name. But it’s taken her weeks to move back to sleeping on the cushion that Bodie used to sleep on most frequently when he was ill. Indi has a habit of digging through the recycling tub for snacks. The first thing she pulled out after Bodie left us was the re-purposed milk bottle on which I’d written “Bodie Electrolytes” and which I’d finally emptied and put out; Indi left it on their (her) cushions.

Indi now chases and barks at things that used to be Bodie’s speciality – things that she would sit back and just watch. I don’t know whether she barks at them in his memory or because they’re bark-worthy.

Sometimes she goes sniffing in the secluded corners of the garden Bodie had taken to resting/hiding in, in his last few days. She never used to do that. She likes to lie in one of those spots, which was a place she wasn’t interested in before. Maybe she can still smell him? I don’t know. She smells his old home collar with interest, but she doesn’t react to it with sadness.

I think animals are wiser than us and understand a lot of things we don’t.

I know he was called back because it was his time. Because this was his soul’s path. I know there’s a bigger journey he’s making. I know he’s now free and happy.

I know when we buried him, and I put in the flowers for him from his daddy, his mummy and the baba he never got to meet, and his sister Indi, the wind blew through the casuarina tree, a little twig with some leaves landed on my hand to sit with the flowers. I know that was from Bodie.

I know that when his daddy was watering the plants in the garden the day after, a king parrot came and sat on a low, very visible branch and chattered loudly to him for 10 minutes. I know that his daddy has been visited by birds before and that he sees them as messengers. I know that parrot was Bodie sending a message - that he's well and happy.

I know that, within the first couple of days, a poo appeared near the bottom of the garden that didn’t look anything like one of Indi’s. It was half-normal and half-black (like Bodie’s had been when he was sick). I took it as another sign from Bodie to let us know his tummy was better and he wasn’t in pain anymore.

I know that, within the first couple of days, part of the doggies’ regular path in the courtyard was dug up – somewhere where they always sat or slept, but where neither of them had ever dug before. I take that as a sign from Bodie too. That's he's well enough to dig mischievously again.

So I know we’ve been lucky to have signs, and to know he has said goodbye to us and that he’s free and not in pain anymore. I’m so grateful we’ve been able to have him with us as long as we have.

My head understands. My spirit does too. So does my heart. They’re just taking a while to accept it.

I love him and I just miss him.



Comments

  1. I've been on this train 9 times myself. 8 with dogs at mom's home and 1 at my wife's. You get used to it but you just need to think about them one second to know that wound shall always be there. Bailey was my boy, and I miss him quite frequently, which is why I wrote him into my new novella. I needed to have some time with him and it was good to be with him for a bit and to share that with others. Sending plenty of love your way and best wishes to Bodie in the beyond. Never doubt that a part of them sticks with you and you'll reunite. I have every faith we'll all party together one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautifully written and brought a tear to my eye.
    We never forget them no matter the length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JD, it must take an enormous amount of heart-strength to have gone through this so many times. The 'thinking about them for one second' thing is so true, but I will take that wound any time over forgetting any little bit of my time with my Bodie-boy. I'm so glad you've been able to spend time with your Bailey-boy, and what a beautiful way to do it. If I stop the tears one day, I may steal your approach. Thank you for the kind words and wishes and there'll be happy wooftastic reunions one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise, Thank you for reading, and for your kind words. Someone described them as family, and that's exactly the sort of hole they leave in our hearts..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.

An Extra-Ordinary Spring Saturday

Saturday the 10th of September was one of those magic spring days.  It started like this: It was the kind of day where the sun is beautifully warm and the breeze is playful and joyous.  The kind of day where, when LittleOne and I went out onto the deck in the morning and the breeze ran up to say hello, we each instinctively, impulsively inhaled and exclaimed about how lovely the day was!  The kind of day that LittleOne said felt just like the beach.  The kind of day where the air is watermelon-scented, and you just want to both bottle it and let it soak in your very cells forever.   That kind of spring day. We saw the first hibiscus flower in our garden in a lovely shade of pink-red that was just slightly more deep pink than red. We saw bees merrily visiting the white-and-pink-edged blossoms all over our prolific lemony-lime tree. We saw a kookaburra bird come and perch on the arbor in the garden. It gave a couple of its deep-throated chuckles, but didn't break out into