Skip to main content

The Start of Spring

It's the last week of August 2015. Which also means it's the last week of winter 2015. In Australia, that is.

There have been hints - little breaths and soft whispers - that spring has been stirring, stretching its arms, and beguiling winter out if its customary grumpy cold. Magic undercurrents of watermelon freshness have been dancing through the air, and now, the signs of spring are
everywhere and you don't even have to look too hard. 

There's the obvious: 
Sunshine trapped in petals.


Sunshine kisses at the heart of purple blossoms. 


And the less obvious:
New shy leaf growth on roses


The flowering of tiny plants only a couple of inches tall, that you could just as easily walk on, as you could notice their presence. 


And then, there's the downright weedy, weird, little oddballs doing their own thing around the corner:


Rolling into the start of spring is like the Friday night of a long weekend, or the start of holidays - when it all stretches out gloriously in front of you - and where savouring the anticipation of what's to come, is half the joy. 



Comments

  1. I'm a little envious that you're heading into spring and summer; it's summer here in Canada but that still didn't stop it snowing yesterday (gone now, though, thank goodness)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! :-) I'm always desperately envious of you Northern Hemisphere folk in March, when it's our turn to be looking down the barrel of autumn&winter! But wow... snow in summer - that boggles the mind! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Island Moments

I've just returned from a trip to my island home. I'm managing my post-goodbye blues by jotting down odd moments, memories and snapshots before they fade. When you travel to Mauritius from Australia, planes fly across the lower half of the island to the west coast, turn around and then come in for landing to airport. As we descended, we flew over the island, through clouds, grey and moody. As we reached the west coast, the clouds cleared briefly and we were treated to a dazzling setting sun colours warming up the clouds in gold and red. There was also a mountain peak, lit up in gold, that looked slightly (unnervingly) closer than it should have been. Then we turned, headed back into grey and landed in dark grey.  We arrived just before Divali. The airport had a display. I dusted off my rusty Creole and successfully got through Customs with a) the Customs officer understanding my Creole and b) me not having to resort to too much English. I'm calling that a win. I...

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.