Skip to main content

Into the Valley

This little story grew out of a Twitter conversation with Roger__Jackson (@jabe842) and Dee Lancaster (@dee_lancaster). Both folks are, by the way, brilliant contributors to my very favouritest micro-fiction word prompt game, Friday Phrases, now being run by the fabulous Lara Meone Savine @larameone. 

The Twitter convo, initially about commutes and commuting, veered (not very surprisingly) into a story prompt idea in the spirit of those offered by the excellent @storybandit. 

Create a 99-word story using the following words:
Cauliflower soup, golf, boot camp, the weather, reify. 

The inclusion of "reify" was in the spirit of the prompts from @storybandit, whose word choices often have me scurrying to the dictionary. It was my flippant inclusion of a 'difficult' word in addition to the eavesdropped ones. (It was a difficult word in the sense that I know what it means, kinda, but still usually have to visit the dictionary to double-check my meaning!)

My instinct was to run screaming in the opposite direction rather than trying to string that combination of words into something resembling a coherent story. But when @jabe842 said he was willing to have a go, well, then I decided I would also have to face that combo of words head on! I think this was around the time I regretted throwing in "reify"! :)

But I came up with something, and I got out again in one piece too! @jabe842's droll and superbly creepy offering is here.


Into the Valley

I stare at the valley and see only blank, thick fog - resembling congealed cauliflower soup. It's rotten weather, made more miserable by the sight of boot-camp fitness freaks lurching along in the distance. All horribly uninspiring. 

My companion sneers, jeers and mocks me; mocking my decision to come to the Mountains and write. 

I clench my fists, my fingers finding, folding around a branch. I throw the best golf swing of my life. My constant fears sail into the soupy abyss. Into nothingness. 

"That's the last time I reify my insecurities!" I smile. 

The ideas begin to flow. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Island Moments

I've just returned from a trip to my island home. I'm managing my post-goodbye blues by jotting down odd moments, memories and snapshots before they fade. When you travel to Mauritius from Australia, planes fly across the lower half of the island to the west coast, turn around and then come in for landing to airport. As we descended, we flew over the island, through clouds, grey and moody. As we reached the west coast, the clouds cleared briefly and we were treated to a dazzling setting sun colours warming up the clouds in gold and red. There was also a mountain peak, lit up in gold, that looked slightly (unnervingly) closer than it should have been. Then we turned, headed back into grey and landed in dark grey.  We arrived just before Divali. The airport had a display. I dusted off my rusty Creole and successfully got through Customs with a) the Customs officer understanding my Creole and b) me not having to resort to too much English. I'm calling that a win. I...

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.