Skip to main content

Autumn: Some Words and a Poem

It is autumn here in the Blue Mountains in Australia. The world has been getting steadily colder for weeks, the sun has retreated in the sky, and leaves are falling to the ground in great numbers. It is both beautiful and melancholy, and it instills a form of sun-worship deep inside me that I don't think I will ever lose - even though I grew up as a child of the tropics.



I don't like knowing there are still three bleak months of winter to come, so I focus on the small, visual beauties of autumn in the here and now.

Back in high school, I remember we were given an English Lit assignment of writing a poem about autumn. We never did enough of the creative writing, which was my favourite thing (although I used to anticipate it so much, the joy in the actual writing and end result never lived up to expectation).

For the autumn poem, I can't remember what I wrote (thank goodness!) except that I tried to make it rhyme. I tried to use all the right imagery borrowed from the poets we were studying - mellow golden leaves and such. Back then, where I went to high school in Oz, autumns were so mild as to be non-existent. They were certainly nothing like they are outside my house as I write this.

I remember I got a B for the high school poem. This was the difficulty of doing creative writing assignments in school. The grade was rarely in proportion to the energy, effort, crippling angst and hope poured into the submitted product.

I did ask the teacher, Mr K., what I could have done to improve my grade. He responded with some dramatic oration about running out of inspiration when it had gone midnight and the port had run out. (Mr K. was a true lover of literature. He would wax lyrical about the opening pages of Thomas Hardy's book describing the haunting, forbidding moors. In spite of being faced with dozens of bored, philistine teenager day in, day out, he never seemed to lose his enthusiasm). Except maybe when the port ran out.

Looking back now, I'll say what Mr K. was too kind to say and I'll hurt my 16-year-old self's feelings and dismiss my poem as 'meh'. 

Now that autumn is something I live in and actually experience - in all its moods, if I had to do that assignment again, this is the one I'd submit.

As the days grow short,
Leaves throw off their green coats of caution.
They drink greedily of the retreating sun.
They absorb its stories
And share them in reds, purples and gold.
They drop en masse to the ground,
Glowing & breathless with colour and warmth.
There they remain as the days grow shorter,
Curling up underfoot in carpets,
Like little animals nesting together for winter,
Colours slowly fading like lost butterfly wings,
Seeping, sleeping back into the earth.
They dream of warm breezes,
A returning sun,
And emerald buds dancing so high in trees,
They can touch the sky.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.

An Extra-Ordinary Spring Saturday

Saturday the 10th of September was one of those magic spring days.  It started like this: It was the kind of day where the sun is beautifully warm and the breeze is playful and joyous.  The kind of day where, when LittleOne and I went out onto the deck in the morning and the breeze ran up to say hello, we each instinctively, impulsively inhaled and exclaimed about how lovely the day was!  The kind of day that LittleOne said felt just like the beach.  The kind of day where the air is watermelon-scented, and you just want to both bottle it and let it soak in your very cells forever.   That kind of spring day. We saw the first hibiscus flower in our garden in a lovely shade of pink-red that was just slightly more deep pink than red. We saw bees merrily visiting the white-and-pink-edged blossoms all over our prolific lemony-lime tree. We saw a kookaburra bird come and perch on the arbor in the garden. It gave a couple of its deep-throated chuckles, but didn't break out into