Skip to main content

Dodo au dodo?

I fully intended to do a quick follow-up to my initial post with one of those painfully necessary 'raison d'ĂȘtre' posts. But, for me, they're not the most inspirational of things to write about so...

It is always easy to find reasons to not complete it. 

This is extra ironic of course, given that one of raisons for this blog is to force me to write more (and procrastinate less). 

So anyway, this is to confirm that this Dodo hasn't gone to 'dodo' - the French slang term for 'sleep' (you may have heard of the French phrase 'boulot, metro, dodo'? It refers to the daily commute/ daily grind of 'work, train, sleep' - anyway, give it a quick google).


Where my 'Montage: A Month in a Minute' blog was meant to be my photo/image-based blog, this is my writing one. Except that I can't seem to help the amount of text that keeps creeping into the AMIAM side of things...

But that's beside the point here. 

I want this blog to cover all my writing interests:
- angst-ing about writing fiction. 
- flights of fancy. 
- the odd piece of fiction maybe?
- any brilliant pieces of socio-politico commentary that I come up with. 
- witty and grumpy observations (I hope the latter inspires the former), probably focussing on pop culture. 
- thoughtful reflections too. 
- book reviews/discussions (probably not of the high-brow kind; you've been warned. My tastes tend to veer away from literary books with the kind of D&M (deep and meaningful) themes that ensure they end up on English literature syllabi, ripe with the promise of misery for a fresh generation of school kids. You know the kind; it has a D&M title that is symbolic on some level that you have to guess at. You know, something like, The Green Skin of the Ripe Mango, where the green in the title symbolises the implicit jealousy which drives the protagonist's journey of bitter self-discovery forward... Blah blah blah). 

Hmmm, I think I've been more scarred by English Lit than I realised. 

Well, I think that's a pretty good starting explanation of what Dodo au GoGo is about. 

Here we go - away on a flight of fancy with the Dodo...


ReeDabee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

I got locked out of Twitter

So. On Sunday morning, I was up at my usual pre-dawn hour. After a Saturday of clouds and rain, when Sunday started with golden pre-dawn light, the birds got very excited and had a glorious symphony of chirruping-chitter-chatter and clear calls to each other. I put down my teacup and slipped into the cold outside to record a soothing 13-odd seconds of it.  Social media might appreciate this lovely clip of peace and zen, I thought, and shared it to Twitter and Instagram.  Well. Within 30 seconds, Twitter got its knickers in a supreme knot about the video, declared I'd violated their rules, and locked me out of my account for 12 hours.  For the record, here's the offending vid: Now, I'm the mildest of the mild social media users, focusing exclusively on things that interest me like writing, creativity, nature and animals. In other words, I don't go near the creepy edges of content that might violate Twitter ToS. Being locked out was absolutely a new experience for me. It&